|Place of birth||Azerbaijan|
|Date of birth||09.02.1960|
|Education||Baku State University|
|Scientific degree||Doctor of biological sciences|
|Topic of PhD thesis: |
- specialty code
- specialty name
- topic name
BiophysicsCharge separation and recombination in Photosystem II studied in dependence of redox state of the Qa electron acceptor
|Topic of doctoral thesis: |
- specialty code
- specialty name
- topic name
BiophysicsElectron transfer in water oxidation reactions of photosystem II
|Total number of printed scientific publications: |
- number of scientific publications printed abroad:
- number of papers published in journals indexed and abstracted in international databases
|Number of certificates of authorship and patents|
|Staff training: |
- number of PhDs
- number of Doctor of sciences
|Main scientific achievements||My research is aimed at understanding of the photosynthesis. The major focus is on studies of the structure-function relation in photosystem II (PSII), electron transfer, the photosynthetic water oxidation and release of the molecular oxygen, artificial photosynthesis and bioenergy, and plant stress. The study was started during my Ph.D. education at the institute of Soil Science and Photosynthesis in Pushchino (Russia) with Prof. V.Klimov and later continued in Kwansei Gakuin University (Japan) in collaboration with Prof. A.Kawamori, in Lund University with Prof. S.Styring, and again in Japan with Dr. T.-a. Ono at RIKEN’s Photodynamics Research Center. The main results of the studies are: |
1) Electron transfer reactions in the reaction center of PSII studied (through the low temperature fluorescence study and magnetic field effect on the fluorescence) at different redox states of plastoquinone QA acceptor show that the rate of charge separation in the PSII reaction centers depends on the redox state of plastoquinone (Qa) electron acceptor. It was concluded that in the presence of QA2- or neutral QA charge separation in PSII occurs with a high quantum yield, and the rate of charge separation significantly decreased in the presence of QA- which results in a low quantum yield of the [P680+Phe-] pair. This finding allows us to consider the variable fluorescence of chlorophyll as emission from the chlorophyll molecule (P680*) excited due to charge recombination in the P680+Phe- pair. The energy gap between the species of P680+Phe- and P680* was estimated to be 0.11-0.13 eV (Biological membranes 1991).
2) A new component of delayed luminescence of PSII (when QA double reduced) was found in the microsecond time scale. The emission has activation energy ~ 0.5-0.6 eV and sensitive to the external magnetic field. It was concluded that the emission resulted from the thermal activation of the triplet state of P680T to the charge-separated state [P680+Pheo-]T↔[P680+Pheo-]S and further emission of luminescence from the singlet state of chlorophyll (Biological membranes 1994a; 1994b).
3) Part of my studies was included investigation of the function and binding site(s) of bicarbonate in PSII. During these studies some activation of electron transfer in PSII in the presence of bicarbonate was detected. The activation effect of bicarbonate was ascribed to the oxygen-evolving complex of PSII (FEBS Letters 1995; Photosynth. Res. 1995).
The conclusion from my latest studies shows that activation of the oxygen-evolving complex, caused by addition of bicarbonate, results from functional role of bicarbonate on the acceptor side of PS II (Biochemistry 2000; Proc.NAS. Azerb. 2011): (a) bicarbonate action site is electron acceptor side of PSII; (b) interacting with PS II, bicarbonate cause decrease the rate of the electron transport between QA and QB plastoquinone acceptors; (c) being necessary for the regulation of functional reactions on the electron-acceptor side of PS II, bicarbonate indirectly participates in the regulation of catalytic reactions leading to release of oxygen.
4) Later my research has been mostly focused on the biochemical and spectroscopic characterization of the water-oxidation cycle of PSII. Catalytic reactions of photosynthetic water oxidation, effects of pH variations on S state transitions in PS II, molecular reactions initiated by light at cryogenic temperatures, electron exchange between cytochrome b559 and S2, S3-states, etc. were studied (Biochemistry 2002; 2003; 2006; J. Phys. Chem.(B) 2004): (a) results of the experiments and their theoretical analysis confirm that water oxidation by photosystem II occurs through a metal-radical mechanism, implying the participation of Mn4CaO5 cluster, tyrosine Yz radical (YZ•), D1-His190 having H-bond with tyrosine, other amino-acids and the proton (and electron) transport from water molecule bound with Mn4CaO5 cluster to tyrosine, which is transferred to lumen by D1-His190; (b) it was shown that under physiological conditions, lumen pH can control electron transport at the catalytic site of water oxidation influencing on certain reactions (expressed by some transitions of the S-cycle). This is very important for protecting PS II from the damage by limiting electron transport when the reactions at the reaction center are oversaturated.
Electron transfer from tyrosine-D (YD) and Cyt b559 to the S2 and S3 states of the oxygen-evolving complex has been studied. The reactions of these components proceed mainly under extremal conditions, and complex experimental conditions (ex. sharp temperature and light variations, manipulations with some components etc.) are required to differ these reactions from the major ones (Chemical Physics 2003; J. Bioenerg. Biomembranes 2013). It was shown that Cyt b559 along with tyrosine YD can give electrons to oxidized (S2 and S3) states of the catalytic S-cycle of PS II and reduce them. The reduction of S3 state at 250 K occurs due to the competition between YD and Cyt b559, which is defined as the redox state of YD. In the reduction of S2 state Cyt b559 is a dominant electron donor and it can give electrons to this state both directly and through equilibrium reactions with other components (P680, YD, YZ and Car/D2-ChlZ) participating in the electron transport at the catalytic site of the PS II water oxidation. Instead the results obtained at 250 K, tyrosine YD can not play as active donor for the S2 and S3 states at 200 K. Cofactor Cyt b559 was shown to be more effective donor for the S2 state relative to S3 one. Thus, the possibility of Cyt b559 participation in PS II S-cycle reactions through changing experimental conditions (in this case the change in temperature) was confirmed. This in turn allows Cyt b559 to participate in the regulation of processes such as electron deficiency (or excess) in PS II under extremal conditions.
|Names of scientific works||1. Orujova T.Y., Bayramov S.M., Gurbanova U.A., Babayev H.G., Aliyeva M.N., Guliyev N.M., and Feyziyev Y.M. (2017) Diurnal temperature-related variations in photosynthetic enzyme activities of two C4 species of Chenopodiaceae grown in natural environment. Photosynthetica (accepted). |
2. İsmayılova E.Ə., Cümşüdlü K.T., Təlai C.M., Feyziyev Y.M. (2017) Fluoressensiya metodunun tətbiqi ilə bəzi buğda genotiplərinə duz stresinin təsirinin öyrənilməsi. Əkinçilik ET institutunun əsərləri.
3. İbrahimova Ü.F., Qaragözov T.H., Feyziyev Y.M. (2015) Duz stresinin Triticum aestivum L. və Triticum durum Desf. genotiplərində fizioloji proseslərə təsiri. AMEA-nın Xəbərləri: Biologiya və tibb elmləri, 70 (3), 26-33
4. Babayev H.G., Mehvaliyeva U.A., Aliyeva M.N., Guliyev N.M., Feyziyev Y.M. (2015) NADP-malate dehydrogenase isoforms of wheat leaves under drought: their localisation, and some physicochemical and kinetic properties. Journal of stress physiology and biochemistry, v.11 (3), 13-25.
5. Cümşüdlü K.T., İsmayılova E.Ə., Feyziyev Y.M. (2015) Duz stresinin buğda genotiplərinin yarpaqlarında fotosintetik elektron daşınmasına təsiri. AMEA Botanika institutunun elmi əsərləri, XXXV c., 155-160
6. Мовсумова Ф.Г., Бабаев Г.Г., Зейналова М.Г., Фейзиев Я.М. (1914)
7. Таксономический состав семейства Chenopodiaceae Vent. во флоре Абшерона и его экологический анализ. AMEA Xəbərləri, Biol. və tibb elmləri, 69(1), 27-35
8. Babayev H., Mehvaliyeva U., Aliyeva M., Feyziyev Y., and Guliyev N. (2014) The study of NAD-malic enzyme in Amaranthus cruentus L. under drought. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, V.81: 84-89.
9. Quliyev N.M., Babayev H.Q., Mehvalıyeva U.Ə., Əliyeva M.N., Feyziyev Y.M. (2014) Quraqliğin amarant yarpaqlarinida qaz mübadiləsi parametrlərinə və dekarboksilləşdirici malatdehidrogenazalara təsiri. AMEA Məruzələri, LXX (1), 46-50.
10. Feyziyev Y., Deák Z., Styring S., Bernát G. (2013) Electron transfer from Cyt b559 and tyrosine-D to the S2 and S3 states of the water oxidizing complex in photosystem II at cryogenic temperatures. Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes., 45: 111-120.
11. Yashar Feyziyev (2008) Photosystem II function and bicarbonate. In J.F. Allen, E. Gantt, J.H. Golbeck (Eds.) Photosynthesis. Energy from the Sun: 14th International Congress on photosynthesis, 399-402, Springer.
12. Kaisa G. V. Hevelius, Ji-Hu Su, Yashar Feyziyev, Fikret Mamedov, and Stenbjorn Styring (2006) Spectral resolution of the Split EPR signals induced by illumination at 5K from the S1-, S3- and S0-states in Photosystem II. Biochemistry, Vol. 45, p.9279-9290.
13. Fryxelius, J., Eilers, G., Feyziyev, Y., Magnuson, A., Sun, L., and Lomoth, R. (2005) Synthesis and redox properties of a [meso-tris (4-nitrophenyl) corrolato] Mn(III) complex. Journal of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines, Vol. 9, p. 379-386.
14. Sigfridsson, K. G. V., Su, J.-H., Feyziyev, Y., Mamedov, F., and Styring, S. (2005) Quantification of the light induced YZ•-split EPR-signals from Photosystem II in the S0- and S1-states and the pH-dependence of “Split S1”. In: “Photosynthesis: Fundamental Aspects to Global Perspectives”, A. van der Est and D. Bruce (Eds.). Proceedings of the 13th International Congress of Photosyntesis, p. 1071-1073. Montreal, Canada.
15. Su, J.-H., Sigfridsson, K. G. V., Feyziyev, Y., and Styring, S. (2005) Flash-number dependent oscillation of Split EPR signals from OEC in PSII induced by illumination at 5 K. In: “Photosynthesis: Fundamental Aspects to Global Perspectives”, A. van der Est and D. Bruce (Eds.). Proceedings of the 13th International Congress of Photosyntesis, p. 404-406. Montreal, Canada.
16. Feyziyev, Y., Mizusawa, N., Ishii, A., and Ono, T.-a. (2005) Characterization of Ser-substitution mutants in the D1 protein Arg 64, 323 and 334 in cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. In: “Photosynthesis: Fundamental Aspects to Global Perspectives”, A. van der Est and D. Bruce (Eds.). Proceedings of the 13th International Congress of Photosyntesis, p. 392-394. Montreal, Canada.
17. Sigfridsson, K. G. V., Su, J.-H., Feyziyev, Y., and Styring, S. (2005) The spectral resolution of the “Split S1” and “SplitS0” EPR signals from photosystem II induced by illumination at 5K. In: “Photosynthesis: Fundamental Aspects to Global Perspectives”, A. van der Est and D. Bruce (Eds.). Proceedings of the 13th International Congress of Photosyntesis, p. 386-388. Montreal, Canada.
18. Morvaridi, S. F., Feyziyev, Y., and Styring, S. (2005) Effect of temperature on the miss-factor in the S-cycle determined by EPR. In: “Photosynthesis: Fundamental Aspects to Global Perspectives”, A. van der Est and D. Bruce (Eds.). Proceedings of the 13th International Congress of Photosyntesis, p. 359-361. Montreal, Canada.
19. Pan, J., Xu, J., Benkö, G., Feyziyev, Y., Styring, S., Sun, L., Åkermark, B., Polívka, T., and Sundström, V. (2004) Stepwise charge separation from a ruthenium-tyrosine complex to a nanocrystalline TiO2 film. The Journal of Physical Chemistry (B), Vol. 108, p.12904-12910.
20. Kropacheva, T.N., Feikema, W.O., Mamedov, F., Feyziyev, Y., Styring, S. and Hoff, A.J. (2003) Spin conversion of cytochrome b559 in photosystem II induced by exogenous high potential quinone. Chemical Physics, Vol. 294, p. 471-482.
21. Feyziyev, Y., Van Rotterdam, B.J., Bernat, G., and Styring, S. (2003) Electron transfer from cytochrome b559 and tyrosineD to the S2 and S3 states of the water oxidizing complex in photosystem II. Chemical Physics, Vol. 294, p.415-431.
22. Styring, S., Feyziyev, Y., Mamedov, F., Hillier, W. and Babcock, G.T. (2003) pH dependence of the donor side reactions in Ca2+-depleted photosystem II. Biochemistry, Vol. 42, p. 6185-6192.
23. Feyziyev Y. (2002) Formate binding sites of plant photosystem 2. Proceedings of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences: Biological Sciences, No 1-6, p.222-233.
24. Bernat, G., Morvaridi, F., Feyziyev, Y. and Styring, S. (2002) pH-dependence of the four individual transitions in the catalytic S-cycle during photosynthetic oxygen evolution. Biochemistry, Vol. 41, p. 5830-5843.
25. Styring, S., Feyziyev, Y., Mamedov, F., Babcock, G.T. and Hillier, W. (2001) The pH dependence of the donor side reactions in Ca2+-depleted photosystem II: A role for Ca in the proton expulsion pathway? In: PS2001. Proceedings of 12th International Congress on Photosynthesis. Sydney, Australia, S13-017.
26. Morvaridy, F., Feyziyev, Y., Bernat, G., Geijer, P., Mamedov, F. and Styring, S. (2001) pH-dependent oxidation of Cytochrome b559 is different in the different S-states. In: PS2001. Proceedings of 12th International Congress on Photosynthesis. Sydney, Australia, S13-010.
27. Bernat, G., Morvaridi, F., Feyziyev, Y. and Styring, S. (2001) pH-dependence of the four steps in the S-cycle in photosystem II. In: PS2001. Proceedings of 12th International Congress on Photosynthesis. Sydney, Australia, S10-016.
28. Feyziev, Ya.M., Yoneda, D., Yoshii, T., Katsuta, N., Kawamori, A. And Watanabe, Y. (2000) Formate-induced inhibition of the water-oxidizing complex of photosystem II studied by EPR. Biochemistry, Vol. 39, p. 3848-3855.
29. Feyziev, Ya.M., Yoneda, D. and Kawamori, A. (1998) Bicarbonate stimulated binding of manganese to photosystem 2. In: ”Photosynthesis: Mechanism and Effects”, G.Garab (Ed.). Proceedings of the XIth international Congress on Photosynthesis, Vol. II, p. 1197-1200. August 17-22, Budapest, Hungary.
30. Ivashikina N.V. and Feyziev Ya.M. (1998) Regulation of nitrate uptake in maize seedlings by accompanying cations. Plant Science, 131, 25-34.
31. Allakhverdiev, S.I., Feyziev, Ya.M., Ahmed, A., Hayashi, H., Aliev, J.A., Klimov, V.V., Murata, N. and Carpentier, R. (1996) Stabilization of oxygen evolution and primary electron transport reactions in photosystem II with glycinbetaine and sucrose. Journ. Photochem, Photobiol., B:Biology, Vol. 34, p. 149-157.
32. Klimov, V.V., Allakhverdiev, S.I., Baranov, S.V. and Feyziev, Ya.M. (1995) Effect of bicarbonate and formate on photosystem II activities. Photosynthesis Research, Vol. 46, p. 219-225.
33. Klimov, V.V., Allakhverdiev, S.I., Feyziev, Ya.M. and Baranov, S.V. (1995) Bicarbonate requirement for the donor side of photosystem 2. FEBS Lett. Vol. 363, p. 251-255.
34. Kozlov, Yu.N., Kazakova, A.A., Feyziev, Ya.M., Allakhverdiyev, S.I. and Klimov, V.V. (1995) Electrochemical oxidation and reduction of ANT-2p in relation to its inactivating effect on photosystem II activity. Biochemistry (Russia), Vol. 60, p. 976-980.
35. Klevanik, A.V., Feyziev, Ya.M., Renger, G. And Klimov, V.V.(1994) Millisecond delayed luminescence of chlorophyll in photosystem II at low redox potentials. 2. Magnetic field effect. Biological Membranes (Russia), Vol. 11, p. 148-160.
36. Klimov, V.V., Feyziev, Ya.M., Allakhverdiev, S.I. and Klevanik, A.V. (1994) Millisecond delayed luminescence of chlorophyll in photosystem II at low redox potentials. 1. Conditions of revealing, lifetime and activation energy. Biological Membranes (Russia), Vol. 11, p. 140-147.
37. Allakhverdiev, S.I., Komenda, J., Feyziev, Y.M., Nedbal, L. and Klimov, V.V. (1993) Photoinactivation of isolated D1/D2/Cytochrome b-559 complex under aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Photosynthetica, Vol. 28, p. 281-288.
38. Klevanik, A.V., Feyziev, Ya.M., Nikithishena, O.V., Shuvalov, V.A.and Klimov, V.V. (1992) On the nature of the anomalous temperature dependence of the nanosecond recombination fluorescence of D1-D2-Cyt.b-559 reaction center complexes. Biological Membranes (Russia), Vol. 9, p. 915-925.
39. Allakhverdiev, S.I., Mal’tsev, S.V., Feyziev, Ya.M. and Klimov, V.V. (1992) Increase of thermostability of photochemical reactions of photosystem II after complete removal of manganese and extrinsic proteins. Biological Membranes (Russia), Vol. 9, p. 12-18.
40. Klevanik, A.V., Feyziev, Ya.M., Allakhverdiev, S.I. and Klimov, V.V. (1991) The origin of photosystem II variable fluorescence of higher plants. Biological Membranes (Russia), Vol. 8, p. 1053-1065.
41. Feyziev, Ya.M., Allakhverdiev, S.I., Klevanik, A.V. and Klimov, V.V. (1991) Temperature dependence of the variable fluorescence of photosystem II under aerobic and reducing conditions. In: ”Plant Metabolism Regulation” (Eds. E.Karanov and V.Alexieva) Proceedings of the International Vth Youth Simposium, p. 59-62. October 8-13, Sofia, Bulgaria.
|Membership with international and foreign scientific organizations||Member of International Society of Photosynthesis Research|
|Pedagogical activity||Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, ANAS, Lectures on “Biomolecular Spectroscopy”, and “Bioenergetics” for master students|
|Awarding and prizes|
|Place of work and address||Institute of Molecular Biology and Bio technologies of ANAS,AZ1073, Baku, pr., Matbuat, 2A|
|Position||Head of Laboratory “Photobioenergetics”|
|Office phone||(+994 12) 5105921|
|Mobile phone||(+994 50) 4096847|
|Fax||(+994 12) 5101433|